Thursday, 24 January 2013

Calorie Intake

How many calories should i eat a day?  I get asked this question a lot, so I thought I would do a little post about calorie intake.  This is the equation that i use to determine my calorie intake:

For WOMEN: 655 + (4.35 x Weight in pounds)+(4.7 x Height in inches) - (4.7x Age)= BMR The amount of calories your body burns just from being alive

FOR MEN: 66+(6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - ( 6.8 x age in years)= BMR. that amount of calories you burn just from being alive.

Step 2: Take that number and multiply by your activity level:
1.2 Sedentary (little to no exercise)
1.375 Lightly Active (1-3 days a week)
1.55 Moderately Active (3-5 days a week)
1.7 Very Active (6-7 days a week)

Step 3:
LOSE weight: Subtract 500
MAINTAIN weight: keep the number the same
GAIN weight: Add 500

The final number is the amount of calories you should eat a day!

It is always important that when you reach your goals, you re-adjust your calorie intake. For example, I am now maintaining my weight, and so I have changed my goals, and therefore my calorie intake.

You may be thinking: "How will I lose weight if I am eating more calories?!" Well not all calories are equal even though they weigh the same. Increase your calories step by step, by increasing your intake 10 % each day until you reach your healthy goal. You could also try eating 4-5 smaller meals a day instead of 3 big meals- this will increase your metabolism!

Eat even though you are not hungry! Do not skip meals! Your body still needs fuel to run, and will stop if you do not give it enough food!

"Will I gain weight?" - Perhaps. I didn't, but it is possible to gain weight. Your body will eventually get used to the intake of calories. Trust in the process! Also, don't weigh yourself everyday, give it a few weeks and see the results for yourself!

Things that will show as weight gain:
Water weight ( a result of not drinking enough)
To much sodium in food ( this will cause your body to retain water)
Muscle swelling
Food in system
Hormones (period weight)

Quick ways to boost calories:
Mixed Nuts
Bananas
All fruit smoothies
Peanut butter and toast







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.